And I had just enough Rose Quartz Twisted left over from my FLS to make it. Or so I hoped. After I knit the band around the base, then picked up the stitches around the edge and did the increase row I started to worry that I wasn't going to make it.
The little ball of yarn I had was getting smaller and smaller.... and while I was fairly sure I had enough I just wasn't POSITIVE because I really had no idea how much yarn I had left. So I increased the needle size from the suggested size US 5 up to a US 7 and got back to work. Of course I ended up with loads of yarn left over! (Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with a baseball size ball of yarn)
This is the first hat I have ever had that wasn't fitted at the top but is instead a little loose. I really like it! It's also the first time I knit a hat by knitting the band around the base then picking up the stitches along the edge and knitting the rest. I like this technique and it isn't nearly as hard as I always feared. I'm just not a big fan of picking up stitches but I'm realizing that it isn't nearly as hard as I always tell my self it is.... and it's totally worth it.
It came out perfectly and really I can't even tell that I upped the needle size by two! Of course I just love the ruffles on the side (I just might be on a ruffle kick here) and I love the softness of this pink.
Pattern: Side slip cloche by Laura Irwin
Yarn: Twisted from BMFA in Rose Quartz
Needles: Size US 5, 7
Mods: I used size 7 needles after I picked up the stitches around the boarder and did the first row of increases. This was to stretch the yarn as far as it would go!