Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

reflections

So we’re down to our final week in the UAE. Everything is coming together and we are getting things set-to-go. Of course there is a never-ending list of things to do that just WON’T STOP getting longer but I know we’ll get there. And if not, well then, I guess it won’t get done cause we are running out of days.
It’s kind of hard to believe that we only have a week left. I always knew this day would come but it was like getting married or graduating college. I just can’t believe it’s finally here. After all the planning, waiting, complaining we are going home.
It’s turning out to be harder than I thought. Saying goodbye to friends and saying goodbye to a pretty incredible place is just plain hard. As I sit, looking over the sea with my coffee and knitting as a nice cool breeze comes through I’m having a hard time understanding why I wanted to get away so badly.
I have been reflecting on my time in the UAE and have realized that living here has been amazing for me. So much of my life has happened in the last three years. I finally became a grown up and started living on my own taking care of my self, I also met the man of my dreams and married him. I got my first “grown-up” job with steady hours and health insurance as well as having to figure out life abroad.
I would never trade this experience for anything and I feel blessed to have lived in the Middle East during a time where this culture is so misunderstood. I know that when I go home I can break people’s stereotypes and misconceptions of how the world lives over here.
Believe it or not but observing the women here has taught me how to be a stronger, more confident woman. They have taught me, through their actions, how to value my self and how to show that, as women, we are more than looks. We don't need to use our bodies to be noticed because we are more than just our bodies. We are just as intellectual, just as strong, and just as capable as any man.
Perhaps instead of looking at being conservative as being oppressive we could view it as a woman’s right to be more than her body but to be her mind.

No comments: