Pages

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Lake Owassa, New Jersey

Directly after we arrived in to the States we headed for my Great Aunt's house on Lake Owassa in New Jersey. It's about an hour and a half drive from New York City into the mountains of New Jersey where there is a channel of lakes along the Appalachian Trail.


Husband and I headed out to the lake with my mom, my sister and her husband and ADORABLE little girl (the one I always knit for) family style, in a mini van. When we arrived we were greeted by all of our extended family which included my mom’s aunt and cousins. We have visited this lake on many occasions so it was great to show Husband where I use to visit during my summers and where I learned to water ski.

All the family was immediately commenting on the strange weather. The clouds, the rain, the chill in the air, they just couldn’t explain how weather like this was occurring in June! They were sorry that we wouldn’t be able to swim and water ski. I on the other hand was thrilled and said as much. I mean it was RAIN! Real live, natural, rain! I couldn’t have been happier. I was honest and said “swimming I can get in Dubai but rain is something else all together.” Seriously people, I’m an Oregonian. I grew up wading through the puddles and UAE’s lack of rain is something that has been hard for me to adjust to. The fact that we got to sit through a proper storm during our first couple of days in the country just meant the trip was off to a better start than I could have hoped for.

Just look at that gorgeous precipitation. And the CLOUDS! I love it!


We were able to get out on to the lake a bit while we were there. We went boating on a pontoon boat (that was a blast and it went way faster than I would have expected)and Husband went kayaking! He kayaks like a pro.


Afterwards we had a big family style barbeque with steak and wild salmon. YUM!

The next morning things cleared up enough to show us just how beautiful the lake can be.


It was a great couple of days in New Jersey. I really enjoyed spending time with all of our family and a getting a couple of quiet days in the mountains. It has to be one of my all time favorite places.

Next up: New York City!

1 comment:

Charmaine said...

I really miss rainy days too! Looks lovely.