Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Oh the weekend

This week was quite a stressful one for me. There were deadlines. There were meetings. There were even long distance phone calls to Angola where I spent 5 minutes trying to get the person on the other end to under stand who I was. But nothing compared to Monday.....

I spent nearly the entire working day of Monday at Emirates ID trying to get my card. In case you don't remember from my previous post, the Emirates ID is a new initiative by the UAE in which all citizens and Expats are required to get Identification cards that will in time (in theory) take over as drivers license and e-gate cards.

So back to my day at EID. I have say the experience wasn't as bad as I thought. I did have to wake up at 5:30 just to wait an hour and a half to get into the building. Then I spent another four hours sitting and waiting for my number to be called. Fortunately I went with a friend so we chatted while I knitted. When I finally got called, the Emiratie helping me had heard of Oregon before! I KNOW! He started listing off the starting line up of the Portland Trail Blazers and I just stared back blankly nodding and thinking to my self if only he preferred college football.

The other good thing that came out of spending 6 hours waiting for my 15 minute appointment was that I got a LOT of knitting done. I made great progress on my Noro Striped Scarf II... but I'll post those pics later.

The only feed back I would like to provide to the kind Emirates ID people is perhaps you would like to provide a little bit more adequate parking. I just don't see a sand ditch as being a proper area to have parking. Especially when you have a perfectly good parking lot that is just not accessible from the road yet because seriously why have a parking lot that people can drive up into right? Nope instead you make them park in the sand ditch and walk up the sand hill to get into the building.

But what did they do right when they built the building you ask? Well they put it next door to a McDonald's, And that my friends makes up for all the sand hills and all the ditches I ever had to walk through.

No comments: